Thursday, May 17, 2012

Titusville




Titusville Camping park
Florida is not just everglades and water!  Beautiful treed park here in Titusville.  Just a few minutes from Kennedy Space Center, Cocoa Beach, and more.  We spent one day touring the Space Center, and there is much more to see.  We bought an annual pass so we could use it more than just 2 days.  Good thing, as we couldn't see it all.  Spent one day at the Astronaut Hall of Fame, which was really interesting.  Pictures, videos, space suits, and lots of launch stories.  Sure a shame that this place is no longer going to do astronaut programs.  The towns around here are all dying, and engineers, and workers are all moving out.  some to other countries to get work with Russians, China, etc.

Building to protect Space Rockets being built



 Amazing how many buttons and levers for the astronauts to maneuver.  No wonder training was so intense!
Inside Space shuttle cabin
Model of Aircraft transporting rocket

Inside Kennedy Space Center
Space Food & Pop Machine in more recent Shuttles

Kitchen in Space shuttle

Working model of Space Shuttle Flight


G-Force Simulator
This was one WILD RIDE!!!  After that, next day we decided to do
 something different, so bought tickets for a 1-1/2 hour  Segway Tour of
 Cocoa Beach with a coupon special.  The guides, Wren & Nick,
(2 young men) spent a few minutes in the parking lot showing us
how to ride and control the Segways and off we went.
Was pretty cool, and just when I was getting the hang of it,
I gawked around at scenery instead of where I was going, and
WHAM!  Hit the curb of the bike lane, lost control and fell off into
the street, landing on my left leg, right elbow and bumping my head.
Hurt like HECK!  Sat on curb for awhile, and decided to get back on and
finish the ride.  We went out to Cocoa Beach on the board walkways,
then back through the town to Ron Jon Surf shop where we posed for
photo op.  Leg was hurting and guides offered to go get their truck
and take me back, but I was being "tough", so got back on and back
we rode.  Whole trip was 6 miles, at about 12-15mph.  Could have gone
25, but I was not about to.  When we got back, Al took me to a walk-in
clinic close by where we finally got an exray where they said  nothing was broken,
but couldn't tell us if ligaments or cartiledge were torn or not.  Since I
couldn't walk on it by this time, Al brought me back to the RV where I
crawled up the steps on my butt, and he went to buy a pair of crutches.
Now, NEVER in my life have I tried to walk with crutches!  Has been
quite an experience!  Almost fell a couple of times, but finally figured
out how to stay upright by being VERY careful.  Have an appt to get
an MRI at the hospital on Monday, and see an orthopedic surgeon
on Tuesday to see if repair is necessary.  It is gradually getting better,
but still not weight-bearing.  Will see!  So, we have extended our stay
here at Titusville at least until Thursday, May 17, and will see from
there.  

We survived the G-Force Simulator
After my Segway accident Cocoa Beach

Snoopy at Kennedy Space Center

Well, the MRI showed a crack in the tibia bone where it joins the knee joint.  There was a bump behind my knee, which I mentioned and that prompted a D-Dimer blood draw to check for blood clot.  The level was high enough that they did a dopplar ultrasound of my leg, which showed no clot!  Hooray!  Al was told to expect that I may be hospitalized a few days, but that was cancelled which made us both happy.  Next day, went to see Orhopedic Surgeon, Dr. Hanna, who re-exrayed to be sure nothing had happened since Thursday.  His sentence is to stay completely off the leg for 6-8 weeks, and to have it re-exrayed every 2 weeks.  He prescribed a leg brace, and off we went.  Looked around for a transport wheelchair as Medicare would cover, but found they only rent them and we don't want to stay here for 2 months or longer.  So, today, I found one online which we ordered and it should be here first of next week.  It is possible that Medicare may re-imburse our purchase.  So far, doing a lot of TV watching, internet, etc..
We had our first tornado alert a couple nights ago, and were advised to head for the bathroom at the RV Park since it is cement block and has no windows.  So, Al drove me there, and we waited the alert was lifted!  Hopefully there won't be many of those!!!!  We are going to put together an emergency kit to keep in the car just in case, which we have been meaning to do.
Al is getting lots of experience cooking, cleaning, chauffuering, laundry, shopping, etc.  So grateful he is willing to do this for me, as there is not much I can do on crutches.  We have now extended our stay here until the end of the month, in order to see the Dr. again.
Not much else new at this time.  Sorry I still can't figure how to move the photos where I want them, but hopefully, you will enjoy them anyway.  Bye for now!

Aren't you proud of us?   We were astronauts for a photo moment!  Then, we tried the G-Force Simulator, 3.5x the Centrifugal force of gravity, while showing a video presentation of landing a space flight!  It was incredibly realistic with visual, sound and motion, and I was too panicked to hit the panic button to stop the 4-minute ride.  Was woozy all evening, and didn't feel 100% next day!  Never make it as a pilot!

3 comments:

  1. WoW! I like the positive attitude. At least the RV park is in a nice area. Other than having Tornado alerts to deal with when you cannot run to shelter. Give Al my kudos for his taking good care of you.
    Carole and I are heading for Tillamook and the beach house tomorrow. I will attend the friday meetingand give you a report:-)
    Friend Gene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your doing a bang up job of this blog! So sad to hear of your accident. Take good care of yourself. I'm always concerned how Klaus would be if I needed help...yikes! He can't cook a lick! Maybe he could make it through the store with a list? Your a lucky lady to have Al!
    It has been sunny here at the coast for one entire week! Can you tell I'm excited? A little cool with the north wind...but sun no less. High 60's. Thanks for your fun adventure, but we do miss you on Sunday nights in Garibaldi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Washington State......So sorry to hear about your leg....hope you will mend
    very soon....Love to read your blog....I tried to make one, but can't figure out how to send it.
    We just returned from a month trip in our new Camry.....Visited friends and relatives in
    Nevada and Arizona....spent two weeks in Puerto Penasco MX....visited friends in Yuma...then spent 3 days in Palm Springs and saw the fabulous Follies......The Diamonds Quartet were the headliners...Next month we will visit Branson again....to enjoy all the wonderful entertainment.
    Hugs to you both.
    Sharon & Leo

    ReplyDelete